Brew 17 - Worlds Collide (Kveik IPA)

Brew 17 - Worlds Collide (Kveik IPA)

Brew Day: 19/01/2021
Bottle Day: 30/01/2021

I have 2 kilos of malt sat waiting to be used so I feel a mini 7 litre batch is needed. I've ordered some hops and yeast to try out. 

Firstly, 200g of Sabro Hops. I've only recent come across this hop variety thanks to a local brew (Pneuma by Steel Brew Co.) and it blew me away. Such sweet, fruity and tropical flavour. 

Next, I've ordered some Kveik yeast to try it out. I understand that this yeast can brew at some seriously high temp and speed and have tried some really tasty brews including one by North Brewing Co. I'm aiming to brew at 30 deg C to see how this yeast goes - hoping for a rapid primary fermentation. I spent a bit of time adjusting the immersion heater in some water to get it to switch on and off at 30 deg C - I'm hoping this isn't affected much by the size of the vessel but let's see how it goes!

So, just waiting on the items to arrive and we can get cracking! 

Brew day arrives - this is an evening one so starting at 4.30pm, getting the strike water heated and everything else prepped. I've decided to bulk out the malt with 200g of Rolled Oats that I found in the cupboard - hoping that might add a little haze and mouthfeel. I've added 2 tsp of Burton Crystals (lets get those hop flavours out) and 1 campden tab. 


I get the mash on - after a little accident leaving the tap open on the mash tun and letting a few litres of water leak over the kitchen floor (Doh!). I aimed for 72 deg C for inital strike temp that then dropped to 64 deg C once the grain was added. I lost a little temp with the faff but I think a good bulk of the mash was at or around 62 deg C for 90 mins. 16 litres of strike water added.


I then decide to run some sparge water over the grain to get out some extra sugars - this time, 5 litres at 77 deg C. I'm keeping the smaller batch seperate until I know the gravity of the 2 are similar but I will add hops to them as we go.

Gravity seems quite low (not surprising given the small grain bill) but I'm not aiming for high gravity here, just big hop flavour.

Boiled for 60mins with the following additions (small batch 2nd): 
- 3g Sabro @60mins / 2g Sabro @60mins
- 5 g Sabro @15mins / 3g Sabro @15mins
- 3/4 prototoc tab @15mins / 1/4 protofloc @15mins
- 10g Sabro @10mins / 8g Sabro @ 10mins 
- 40g Sabro @0mins (Whirlpool at 80 deg C) / 20g Sabro @0mins (Whirlpool at 80 deg C)

I left the last hop in for around 25mins as the wort chilled down, at which point I added a little caster sugar (150g) to bring the wort closer to 1.040. Both batches were similar enough to mix into on giving a healthy batch of 3 gallons. 

This is a first - I have 3 beers in fermentation. 

Added the yeast at 35 deg C (seemed a bit odd but apparently this yeast rocks at high temps!). Original gravity at 20 deg C was at a respectable 1.042.

Now for the yeast magic to begin! 

Brew update: The yeast went mental and the airlock sounded like it might take off. Most of the action within the first 24hrs. I decided to take a gravity on 21/01/2021 @ 9.30am and measured 1.002 - leaving the beer at 5.25%. I had a quick sip/sniff and there is a distinct bitterness merged with strong pinapple/mango aroma and flavour. The brew is hazy (hoping this sticks) and looks a little more like an NEIPA than I imagined (must be the oats). 

56g of Sabro was then added into the mix as a first dose Dry Hop (using a nylon bag with 5 marbles and keeping the bag as large as possible to maximise surface area. I intend to keep this dose in for 3 days (remove on 26/01/2021) and replace with a 2nd dose should I feel it is needed. 

Removed hop dose 1 on 26/01/2021 and added another 56g of Sabro hops. Double dry hop in place now another 5 days to wait. 






Taste update: Wow! This one has gone completely to plan. The haze has remained and the dry hop gives this one a really nice, pungent fruity aroma and flavour. Bottled earlier than 2 weeks - a gamble that has paid off so far (I was less worried out reducing haze). Very happy with the end result and Kveik yeast is definitely one to use again - probably in the summer when temperature control is less a worry. Beer score: 4.5/5 (Brew this again!)

Notes
Malts: Maris Otter Extra Pale, Caramalt, Light Crystal. 
Hops: Sabro
OG: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.004
ABV: 5%
Batch size: 21 x 500ml (10.5 Litres)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brew 25 - Princess RPA (Rye Pale Ale)

Brew 19 - Gardener's Gloves MkII

Brew 24 - Evil Pea Rules (Black IPA)